Public Service Announcement (PSA)
The Open Enrollment period for health insurance for 2018 is
November 15 – December 15, 2017
August 31, 2017 – The Trump administration cut the advertising budget for outreach to voters eligible for an Affordable Care Act health plan (Obamacare). Trump has stated he wants Obamacare to implode and fail from lack of participation. (‘Let Obamacare Fail’, nytimes.com) Continue reading
After the Democratic Party announced that they “will not withhold financial support for candidates who oppose abortion rights” yesterday, today is a great day to cheer for Dr. Willie Parker! Dr. Parker brings kindness, compassion, empathy, expertise and years of experience to the morally difficult and emotionally charged subject of abortion.
- As a black man, he calls hogwash on the argument that abortion is equivalent to black genocide.
- As a righteous man — and I do not mean self-righteous, I mean righteous — good, virtuous, upstanding, decent — he is claiming or reclaiming the moral high ground that a woman — a fully formed, autonomous life — has a body that is all her own. A woman is not merely a host body whose independence is tossed aside if she happens to be pregnant.
- And of most significance is that Dr. Parker is an evangelical Christian with an interpretation and a conclusion on abortion rooted in the very same Bible as other “Bible-believing Christians”. His Bible requires him to treat his patients with a Christlike compassion and empathy. He has struggled with what it means to deny women abortions and he has reached the conclusion, from the story of the Good Samaritan no less, that as a Christian he is required to help his patients.
And so today, I cheer this good man who presents an educated, moral, complete, and kind argument in contrast to, and in answer to the hyperbole and misdirection employed by those who would deny a woman the right to her own body.
For more information, I’ve included a link to an interview with Dr. Parker and a link to purchase his book Life’s Work: A Moral Argument for Choice:
Interview: Dr. Willie Parker on Why Abortion Rights Are a Moral Imperative, Especially for Christians (Hat Tip: Jezebel)
Web-site: Dr. Willie Parker
I read and watched segments of the testimony of Jefferson Beauregard Sessions, III to the Senate Intelligence Committee yesterday, (June 13, 2017). What I learned:
- Jeff Sessions is still the poster child for White Lies.
- Viva definition White Lies: “a harmful, non-trivial word construction expertly formed and delivered such as to avoid hurting one’s own political aspirations.“
- Although Jeff Sessions looks like a Keebler elf, we should stop this comparison. It is a disservice to the goodness and sweetness of Keebler and their elves. A Jeff B.S. III cookie would be doughy-white, bitter, and fall apart at the slightest pressure.
- Obama was given all kinds of flack for being non-Presidential when he wore a white suit. I can’t help but think that Jeff Sessions’ white suit comes with a hood. Just sayin’.
- The crazed element of the GOP is not serious about governing, ethics, truth.
- Jeff Sessions is not serious about the office and his duties as Attorney General. After agreeing to testify, Sessions did not bring any personal artifacts to spark his memory, to offer as proof. By way of comparison, Comey’s notes as FBI Director were copious.
- Gaslighting par excellence. Sessions’ testimony yesterday was a distraction from the really serious healthcare bill going through the Senate. While we were all focused on the little guy testifying by not testifying in the spot light in ring #1, we missed the Flying Wallendas removing the net under cover of dark in the center ring. Eh, that’s an unfair comparison too. The Wallendas were true artists and athletes. But the imagery stands, there will be no net.
And I like to make predictions so far into the future that it doesn’t matter to me whether I’m right or wrong. But on March 3, 2017 I predicted that the penalty for Jeff B.S. III White Lying under oath would be that he would still be Attorney General in a month; 103 days later, I’m still right, he’s still there!
I wish I had been wrong.
Yesterday, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) released their analysis of the savings of Trumpcare (AHCA) over Obamacare (ACA) covering the next 10 years. $337 Billion, or an average savings of 33.7 billion dollars a year!
And no one will lose their insurance, but by ‘no one’, we mean ‘some one’. In fact, the CBO estimates 24 million ‘some ones’ lose their health insurance in 10 years.
By 2026, the annual savings to the republic will be $1404/uninsured some one.
And the important things we can do with those AHCA savings? Military spending is slated to go up 10% or about $54B/year. That’s 1.6 times the annual savings of the AHCA. The wall at our southern border? $21.6B over 3.5 years With all the savings from the AHCA, we could build 5.4 walls in 3.5 years! Whoa. Let’s not go too wild. Priorities.
Affordable healthcare:affordable healthcare insurance? These are not priorities. So it may interest you to know that a Google of ‘2016 average funeral costs’ turns up $7K to $10K. Maybe we can get a group rate …